December 19, 2010

Review: H&M nail polish in Grey Sky

(OPI You Don't Know Jacques, Rimmel Steel Grey, H&M Grey Sky, Essie St. Lucia Lilac)


Price: $1.99 CAD
Size: 0.1 fl oz/3.2 ml (it's a fifth of a regular sized OPI nail polish)

A few months back, I picked up a nail polish from H&M. At the time, they were just testing the market and were only selling the minis. I'm assuming it was a success because they're now selling full sized nail polishes in a wide variety of colours. I think the full size polishes are $6.95 or right around there. Even though I purchased this nail polish a while back, I decided to do a post on it because every time I wear it, I get someone asking me what it is.

The colour I picked up is called 'Grey Sky' and cost $1.99 for 0.1 fl oz (it's tiny). As you can see from the photo above, the colour is really unique. I can't really figure it out. It's like a very light mauve-grey colour. I bought it because I thought it looked like it belonged in the taupe/mauve/grey family of polishes that everyone, including me, loves so much. It has a very subtle micro shimmer. When applied, the micro-shimmer is barely detectable. 

The formula is pretty amazing and is very easy to apply. The first coat goes on a little uneven - probably because I have shaky hands. Within 2 coats, it's opaque and isn't the slightest bit streaky.

How long the nail polish lasts obviously depends on how rough you are on your nails. I'm not careful with my nail polish at all. I'm always moving boxes, using my nails to remove stickers or pry something open, and I'm always walking into things or getting my fingers caught in or between things. In other words, I can be a walking disaster at times. I'll start to see chips after about 3 days (that's using Sally Hanson's Mega Shine Extended Wear Top Coat - my fav). 3 days really isn't all that bad in my opinion. For comparison, a Revlon polish will last about 2-3 days and an OPI usually lasts me about 4-5 days. Removing the polish is also very easy.

This is a great shade to wear for formal events or for work. I wear some pretty crazy colours sometimes and will do glitter on all 10 nails, but for those events where you need to look more professional, this is my go-to. It's such an easy colour to wear and honestly, something about it makes my fingers look nicer. I know I'm not crazy for thinking that because two other people mentioned the same thing to me haha. It's a very elegant yet chic colour. No catch. Just a whole lot of awesomeness in a tiny bottle!

I'm tempted to try out their lip glosses.
Have you tried any H&M cosmetics or nail polishes?


xx

Elise

22 comments:

Kaylyn said...

I haven't tried any cosmetics or nail polishes from them, but now I'm very interested! I saw them at the store close to my house but I didn't think anything of them. Now, I want to try!

Love & Labels

Aseya said...

That color is so pretty!! Perfect for transitioning into spring. I don't think our H&Ms carry the makeup line, though :(

*prettyinthedesert.blogspot.com*

Merel said...

I love that colour! Subtle, yet a bit different, great! I justt did a NOTD about a dark red H&M nailpolish yesterday, check it out!

http://merel-everydayahappyday.blogspot.com/

Xx

Ana Sofia said...

Gorgeous colour! Next time i stop by h&m il be sure to checkout their nail polish range :)x

EmmaDee said...

the colour is so pretty and affordable!! im going to have to check to see if we get it here in the UK! xo

EmmaDee said...

the colour is so pretty and affordable!! im going to have to check to see if we get it here in the UK! xo

Nadia said...

Love the colour! I saw a similar one by OPI some time ago and thought about trying it but this one is obv the same and more affordable! xx

Anonymous said...

I've never tried any nail polishes from h&m.. This looks great! Lovely colour xx

Gaby Fauchon said...

Oh pretty! I love grey nail polish!

Jewelrybead said...

Hi dollface! What a pretty color- price point is great too!
Love the line "just a whole lot of awesomeness in a tiny bottle" <3

XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I've never tried any H&M cosmetics but im always really tempted too, lol
I might actually grab a polish now that I see theyre not so bad.

I used Revlon's Grey Suede nail polish and its pretty similar & it's my go to simple & sophisticated color during the fall and winter
Great post, keep up the great work,

http://bombdotcomm.blospot.com

m0chiii said...

This is a very pretty color!

It is very tiny... but still reasonably priced =)

Unknown said...

hey, I just want to say that you have an amazing blog and you are so pretty! I always enjoy reading it, but never quite comment. Have a great holiday, and it would mean so much to me if you could check out/ subscribe to my blog: vyile.blogspot.com

Love, Shelly

SAVING BETTY said...

hi gorgeous!

Merry Christmas !

XOXO

Ana Sofia said...

Merry Christmas sweetie! x

Elise said...

Kaylyn- if you try one of them definitely let me know how you like it. I'm curious to see if all of the shades are as easy to work with as the one I bought. x

prettyinthedesert- Aww that's too bad. Perhaps it will soon since it's still somewhat new :) x

Merel- ooh a dark red! I'll be sure to check your post out right after this. x

Ana- Yes! Definitely check out the nail polishes and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Judging by your pictures though, I'm sure it was amazing! x

EmmaDee- I would be so sad if you girls in the UK didn't get it. But then again, you girls have tons of amazing brands I would love to get my little hands on! x

Elise said...

UrbanMermaid- Don't you love it when you find cheaper alternatives? haha such a great feeling. x

LipglossAndLeopardPrint- Ahh the name of your blog is too adorable! x

G A B Y- Me too! Greys and Taupes are so addictive. x

Jolene- haha thanks lovey!! x

imani nikkol- Ooh I'll have to keep an eye out for that Revlon polish. Thank you for telling me about it! x

siwing- Definitely tiny but kind of cute at the same time haha x

Vyile- Aw thank you so much for your sweet comment, Shelly! I hope you are having a wonderful holiday. I'll be sure to check your blog out. x

SAVING BETTY- Thanks pretty girl! Same to you! x

ank_eliza_01 said...

i don't have it, but i love OPI You don't know Jacques :X

ank_eliza_01 said...

i don't have it, but i love OPI You don't know Jacques :X

ivanabp1977 said...

Hi!! I love touch eclet from YSL.Please, enter me!! I share this event on my facebook profile: Ivana BerPer.

My email address: ivanabp1977@hotmail.com

Thank you soo much!!!

Anonymous said...

I purchased this polish back in october and unfortunately they only had the mini size at that time. It's a gorgeous color and I always get compliments on it!

Elise said...

ank_eliza_01 - You Don't know Jacques is one of my absolute favourites! x

anja - I hope they plan on selling the full size of this shade! I look for it every time I'm in H&M but haven't been able to find it :( x