February 05, 2011

My Least Used Blushes



I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. I have got an intense week ahead of me and I already know it's going to be filled with sleepless nights and a whole lot of "where-did-the-time-go?" moments. When I don't sleep, I tend to go a little crazy and turn into a bit of a moody mcgee. I try not to stress too much because I've done that in the past and nothing will ever get done if I'm on the floor sobbing. 

While procrastinating (I'm more of an eleventh hour kind of gal anyway), I was trying to think of all the things that make me happy. If I'm stressed I always make sure I take several breaks to do the things that make me happy. Even if I'm swamped, I make time. Blush rarely fails me so I think this upcoming week will be "Blush Week" here at Blush is the New Black. 

As I said, blush rarely fails me, but there are a few in my collection that I either dislike or just never seem to reach for. If any of these are one of your favourites, colour me jealous. 
  • Guerlain Blush 4 Eclats Lueur d'autommne 03 - Gorgeous packaging but I just can't make this blush work. The shade is way too dark for me and isn't flattering at all. It doesn't matter how lightly I apply it or what kind of brush I use. The result and my reaction is always the same: "oh wow, that's definitely not attractive." I'm going to wait until the summer to give it one last try but if it still doesn't work, then I'll have to say goodbye to it. 
  • Clinique Precious Posey - Honestly, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this shade. It's actually a pretty pink. The price is very affordable and the packaging isn't too shabby. Why don't I use it? I don't know. I just never reach for it. I'm always trying to convince myself to use it, but right before applying it I'll change my mind. Something about it just prevents me from liking or using it. It's a mystery. I actually considered using it the other day after reading that it will be included in the Milly for Clinique Pretty in Prints compact (but I didn't).
  • Benefit Sugarbomb - When I swatch Sugarbomb on my hand, it's beautiful. It looks a blush that has the ability to make my cheeks glow. I've tried this blush on numerous occasions but have never actually left the house wearing it. In fact, just a few days ago I applied it but had to wash my face and redo my makeup. I was horrified at what I looked like. More on this later. I'll do an entire post on this haha.
  • ELF Blushes - My poor ELF blushes must feel so neglected. I actually think they are extremely good quality and very comparable to many high end brands. Somehow they always end up at the back of my blush drawer though. 
  • Benefit Posie Tint - I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm just not the hugest fan of Benefit cheek products. I'm pretty sure Posie Tint is supposed to be a no-fuss blush but when I try using it, it turns into a whole ordeal. I dot it on and try to blend it out but before I can get to the blending part, the dots have set into my skin and I end up looking like a dark haired Pippi Longstocking (sans gravity-defying pigtails). As it turns out, pink freckles aren't the best look on me. 
  • MAC Prism - I can really only use Prism in the summer because it's a little too dark for me. It's also matte and in general I prefer a bit of shimmer in my blushes. 
I am shocked that there aren't more blushes on this list. While going through my collection, I realized that I actually do a decent job of rotating my blush. Of course I always favour certain ones over others, but for the most part, there aren't too many that I don't use. Sorry, I know this post wasn't exactly helpful but hopefully you enjoyed it nonetheless :). 

Are there any blushes that seem to always get pushed to the back of your drawer? 
What's your least favourite blush?

xx
Elise

14 comments:

MsRinz said...

i know i;ll never use clinique just because of the packaging.. i am a bit weird like that lol :D looks pretty though

Rachel said...

Blush is definitely my favourite make up item, I think if I had to choose only one bit of make up to wear it would definitely be blush! We're the opposite though because I love matte blushes and cannot get on with shimmery ones at all! x

FromGemWithLove said...

I have a sleek bush that I never use, I should really it's nice, bit bright though. I've just hit pan on my orgasm so it feels like my life is slowly crumbing away hahah xxx

Dyna said...

I actually like posts like these, please do one for more products [I mean aside from blushes]. Because sometimes we buy stuff and then we're like- it's a meh product that we hardly ever use. It happens to me all the time :)

Elise said...

Rinz- Oh I have to agree with you. Packaging plays a HUGE role in determining which blush I use. I'm definitely not a fan of Benefit's cardboard boxes.

Rachel- Yay! Me too! Blush has the ability to add life to anyone's face. I think matte blushes just bring out my scars a bit more than I would like. You have got absolutely gorgeous skin though :). Haha I just read one of your posts and you mentioned you like to wear quite a lot of blush. I have to admit I'm the same. I love applying and reapplying blush (even if I don't need to) lol. x

Gemma- LOL you're hilarious! I would feel the same way if (and probably when) I hit pan on deep throat. x

Elise said...

Dyna- haha you're totally right. Perhaps I'll do a post on all of the products I have come to regret buying. Thanks for the suggestion Dyna! x

Anonymous said...

OH NO!! you dont love sugabomb... ive have just done a post on my blog yesterday about how much i loved this!!! i am so close to re purchasing it!! xox

Me said...

PRISM is actually one of my most favorite blushes! Lol, it's always neat to see what blushes work for different types of skin tone. But you should definitely use it in the summer time! :)

Elise said...

Steph xox- haha that's so funny! I just finished reading it. Great post! ps. I feel like I should congratulate you on hitting pan on it or something. There is just SO much product in it haha! It's more than double the size of a NARS blush so I'm always impressed when I see people hitting pan on their Benefit products lol x

glitteryeyesxx- haha I know! I love reading or seeing which blushes work for other people. Prism will most definitely come out during the summer months (is it summer yet??). In the meantime, perhaps I'll try using it to contour :) x

Justine (Productrater) said...

Definitely would love to hear your full review of Sugarbomb, I actually really like that one, but it's subtle for sure.

Jenni said...

please do more posts like these <3 i'm a huge blush lover too...this inspired me to do a post on my least used blushes (there would be a lot in the list, LOL)!

am surprised you didn't like Sugarbomb though, but i guess different colors work on different skintones! What are you going to do with the Guerlain if you say goodbye to it after one more chance?

^.^

Elise said...

Justine @ Productrater- I have read so many good reviews on it but I just don't understand why it won't work for me :( but I'm glad you love it! Doing a full review is definitely on my to-do list. x

Jennifer- I'm quickly becoming obsessed with your blog because I get the feeling we're both blush lovers! I would love to read a post on your least used blushes! I'm not really sure about the Guerlain blush yet. Like any good mother, I'll have to make sure my baby finds a happy home that will treat it right haha! x

Jewelrybead said...

Hi sweetie- I haven't logged on much lately as life has been a bit hectic for me (I see you are going to have a crazy week too), but I love catching up on your posts- you are my little extra shot of delicious coffee sometimes- ♥.

I do my best at blush rotation too, but I def have 4 or 17 blushes that get the back-burner too (I only keep the pretty packages out on my makeup stand)...therefore, my cargo, lancome, and some tarte's rarely get any love- lol!!
XOXO
Jolene

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Great post. I definitely agree about the Benefit Sugarbomb blush. It just doesn't look that nice on the face. I really like my e.l.f blushes but I understand how they could get pushed to the back of the drawer. I have way too many blushes. Thinking of doing a challenge where I have to wear a new one every day until Ive gone through all of the ones I have.

If you haven't already have a chance to check it out, I have a makeup competition going on right now:

http://www.funnyfacebeauty.com/2011/02/funnyface-beautys-red-carpet-makeup.html

xx
Alicia